Sunday 12 September 2010

Holiday

Another holiday has bitten the dust.  We came back in the early hours of 6 September 2010, and writing this a week later, it seems a life time ago that we've been away.

Friday 20 August we went very early to the Netherlands to pick up the rest of the family and after 40 winks, which seemed more like 400 winks, we left for the sunny beaches of the south of France.  My husband drove basically all the way which, I have to say I very much appreciated.  We had several p & p stops as well a coffee to stay awake, but my brother felt at one point he needed to half a sleep break, and so we all had a sleep break which turned to be a three hour sleep break, so the journey there took us 17 hours in all. Getting to the campsite was good and the keys were already waiting for us, so we could move straight into our booked mobile homes. 

The weather was absolutely gorgeous and it was very hot.  Mind you I don't really mind the hot weather there,  as there is near enough no humidity, so 32 degrees C without any humidity is very well do-able compared to 29 degrees C with a 53% humidity at work, which makes you literally sick.

I have to say if I ever was to win the lottery I would move to the South of France permanently.  I love the way of living there, I love the attitude the whole lifestyle, and could oh so easily get used to that.  Saying that I would move to Laguna Beach in a flash too, as that is also one of my all time favourite places I have ever been.  Perhaps I need to win enough to be able to live in France AND Laguna Beach on an alternate basis.  That would be the best.

Going back to the holiday, basically, all we did was rest and go to the beach and eat lovely things with lots of garlic.  My brother made macaroni for all eight of us a few times, the boys put a BBQ a few times, and I made a curry for all of us. Hubby did English breakfast a few times for us, and everything was nice and relaxing.  No stress, no hassle, not anxiety, just a holiday we really needed.

We had the usual cats on the campsite getting rid of possible mice (never seen a mouse on that campsite for all the years we've been there) and the hedgehogs visited every evening.  It always made us laugh to hear them scuffle under the mobile home.

We went t the market  a few times, and I got a beautiful mirror for in the bathroom, belated birthday present from my brother and his family.  It still has to be hung up, so I wonder when that is going to happen, but it is a beautiful mirror.

The last day of our holiday, the waves were very high, in fact they were so high that several people lost their footing in the sea and were thrown all over the place, and yes that included me.  It was great though the and kids (and that included the two grown up males in our party) had a great time in the sea.  I made a bit of a video of it, and will have to upload that sometime to YouTube.

But to all good things comes an ed, and also this holiday finished.  It took us nearly 145 hours to get back the to Netherlands where we stayed the night, and at 4.00 pm the next day we left the family to go back to the UK.  We were on the 9.15 pm cross over from Bolougne to Dover, when we found out that we were on the last ever crossing of the shipping company, and that made me really sad, yet another company that could not make a enterprise profitable and so it was stopped. 

Coming home at 12.30 am, we had to unload the car.  Jeez, every year again I am absolutely astonished by the things we take and take back and how much washing I have to do before it all goes back where is is supposed to go.  Even now, a week later I am still trying to sort things out.

Our kitties were not happy when we first walked in but after about an hour, they came and cuddled up.

Roll on next year......................

No comments:

Post a Comment